Thursday 2 October 2014

1 day and 2 celebrations

First: thank you for all kind comments on my previous post about Geeta. It warmed my heart, and I feel so grateful for all the virtual hugs you sent me. And as I knew it would, the sadness and misery I felt, vanished in a flash of a moment, because who can stay sad when you are surrounded by a group of ladies in colorful clothes who are pushing wooden sticks into your hands and nodding enthusiastically: - dance, dance.... ? Not me...

Oh yes, dear reader, another festival is upon us, and has been here for almost 9 days now. The celebration of the divine mother Shakti in all her 9 forms. The 3 first days is for goddess Durga/Kali, remover of evil, suffering and imperfection, and then goddess of healing, wealth and prosperity, Lakshmi is worshiped, while the last 3 days is for Saraswati, goddess of creativity, wisdom and knowledge. Its a wonderful festival, that I have been so lucky to experience for the third year now. I love the decorations, light pulps in the streets, the flower garlands, the food, sweets, the colorful clothes and the bling bling - feeling about this festival. And the intense-ness of the dandiya dance... Magic days in Mumbai - what can I say...


So, 9 days, 9 nights... and 9 colors: one for each day. So on the blue day, for example, the ladies will dress like this:

Last year I also wrote about this lovely festival - and you can have a look at it here: Navrati festival 

*******

Today, 2 October, we also celebrate the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi in India.

His home Mani Bhavan is one of my top favorite places to visit here in Mumbai, and the guests we have had from abroad, have all enjoyed their visit there immensely. Like me, they have all heard about Gandhi and how he led India to independence, and then visiting his home brings history alive in a very emotional way at this house.


More than anything, I love the philosophy and the words of Gandhi. I am sure that they will live forever and they will keep being a unique source of inspiration to people all around the world, myself included. 

Here are some of my favorite quotes by Gandhi.

1.

 2.

3. 
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

4. 
Be the change you want to see in the world.

5. 
An ounce of practice is worth a thousand words.


- So, dear reader, which one is your favorite quote? 


And as we continue with our celebrations here in Mumbai, I wish you all Happy Navrati and Happy birthday Mahatma Gandhi.

I hope you have a good day wherever you are. Enjoy your moments.

Ta ta from Mumbai!

20 comments:

  1. A lovely one, as usual, Eli. Glad you're back in Mumbai and enjoy the Navratri festival. :)
    Isn't Mani Bhavan the most peaceful place to visit in Mumbai? It feels like it's stuck in a time warp. I've lovely memories of the place. Thanks for sharing this. I'm not sure too many Mumbaikars have actually given it its due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too,I so love that place. Happy it brought back good memories:-) Thank you for your kind words. Hugs

      Delete
  2. The festive season has begun and hope you are having a great time soaking in all the colorful and vibrant festivities around you!
    'Be the change you want to see in the world' is my fav from this collection of Mahatma Gandhi's quotes. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend, Eli :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Shilpa! Its a fun season:-)

      Delete
  3. Dearest Eli,
    It is so good that sad emotions are always being uplifted by such emotions of joy and that even works for the poorest of the poor!
    Lovely history tour for anyone to visit Ghandi's home! That is quite touching and anyone going there will look at things in a different manner.
    My favorite quote is to 'Be the change you want to see in the world.'
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it true Mariette. Always so happy to see you here, and read your thoughtful words. Thank you so much:-) Big hugs your way

      Delete
  4. Lovely quotes, Eli. My favorite of his quotes is "A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you back in Mumbai and enjoying the festivities! :)

    "Be the change you want to see in the world." is one of my favorite quotes as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, yes, it is a fun time to be here:-)

      Delete
  6. Love quote no.3. Mind-blowing pics:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vishal:-) Always so happy to see you here

      Delete
  7. You make me miss India so much. I miss the festivities... The colourful dresses... Loud music... and specially all the navratri delicacies. My fav quote is the fifth one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh , yes, it is such a fun time... So happy to see you here:-)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post, Eli. Through your words, I learn so much about a part of the world I'm not that familiar with!

    It's difficult to choose my favorite quote, but I think it would be "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." I just hate to think about the first part of that, as I'm too far away from extended family ... but I do try to learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Cindi. As always, so happy to see you here... Yes, that is a good thing right ... learn something new. Big hugs

      Delete
  9. Wow! Love the festivities this time of the year. Before yih know it, there will be lamps and diyas everywhere and we will be celebrating Diwali! I love to experience Mumbai through your words! Beautiful Eli! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Aditi! So happy for your kind words:-)

      Delete
  10. Dear Eli,

    As always my heart fills with joy and warmth when I reda your posts. So filled with life, love and color. And I love how you bring us along, like the perfect guide, and show us your Mumbai. Thank you sweet Eli.

    And my favourite one is "Be the change you want to see in the world."

    Take care sweet friend.

    Charlie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Charlie. Your kind words make me so happy. Thank you so much sweet friend. Big hugs

      Delete

Dear reader, I love comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave one:-)