Sunday 15 December 2013

Back home - in Winter Wonderland

Already when the plane is still above the white clouds I can feel it. It gets stronger when I get the first glimpse of the snow - covered mountains, hills and trees, and when I can spot the tiny wooden houses with snow on the rooftops and the lights along the roads. It intensifies when the Passport Control Officer smiles and says: - Velkommen hjem, da! (Welcome home!) as he hands me back my passport. And as I grab my suitcase and wander through the customs, it overwhelms me - because suddenly - there she is: one of the persons I have missed the most: my sister. And the butterflies release themselves. Little Norway, I am back! 

Yes, dear reader, when you read this, I am on vacation in Norway. Not in my home town Bergen, but visiting family in the capital Oslo. It is a perfect pre-Christmas atmosphere. Quite cold, and the trees are covered with snow. It is quiet and peaceful. The houses are decorated with small light bulbs, and in a way it all reminds me of the pre-Diwali atmosphere in Mumbai. Anticipation... 

A small shock though, coming from summerly Mumbai, to snowy Oslo. My golden sandals - no good here, I tell you! But, oh joy, I brought my purchased-in-India bright red winter jacket with matching red ear-warmers and gloves. Oh yes, needing them! But who cares about the weather anyway! The people count, right! Catching up time again, dear reader! Catching up time! 
So, from one scenery .... 

... to another... 
Christmas decorated (and fully packed) shops..


I hope you have had a good weekend dear reader. All the best to you - from Winter Wonderland:-) Stay tuned for more tales, and thank you for following! 

20 comments:

  1. I can sense the happiness in your post Eli :) do enjoy the winter and spending time with your family in Oslo. Yes, your sandals wouldn't do any good there! :) much love and look forward to reading the Scandinavian tales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Pallavi!!Warm hugs to you!!XXXX

      Delete
  2. It seems like a wonderland indeed!! I can sense the pre Christmas atmosphere in the pictures. Have a lovely time with your family dear Eli :)
    Keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Arti! So happy you follow! All the best to you:)

      Delete
  3. Oh I wish I could tag along with you to experience The White Christmas for once atleast, in my life :)

    lovely pictures. Wish you a wonderful time with family.
    Have loads of fun Eli.

    Exploring more of your blog since i'm a first time visitor, lovin it.

    Merry Christmas in advance.
    xoxo
    Defiant Princess
    http://khanvibes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so happy you found my blog and that you like it! I am off to check out yours:)

      Delete
  4. enjoy your vacation. christmas seems to be catching the atmosphere in your pics. happy christmas in advance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Amar!! All the best to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Eli,
    Funny in my reply to your comment I just wrote; not in your area (cold) but you just landed back into winter-wonder-land for a vacation. Well, you are right, it is the family and friends that are the reason to be home for Christmas. We've done that straight from Bali to The Netherlands for being there on my Dad's birthday on January 4th.
    As long as we are healthy you can absorb the huge climate shock. With good sleep and great food, it can be done and dressing warmly.
    Enjoy you time!
    Happy Advent season and a very Happy Christmas; I know the feeling when living in another continent.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Mariette! I am so happy we have connected! Best wishes back to you dear!

      Delete
  7. A great ambiance indeed ! TFS :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Paresh! All the best to you:)

      Delete
  8. Looks beautiful there! Make sure you post some more photos of your time there. Have a great Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amelia! Will try to do that:) All the best!

      Delete
  9. wow! Norway, the land of Black metal :) Have a great time Eli !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jahid! Will enjoy for sure! Best wishes to you!

      Delete
  10. Velkommen back to Norway! It looks much more beautiful in the Oslo area than in the Bergen area right now. All our snow is long gone, and it's just cloudy and dark. But the Christmas lights, candles, and music warm everything up! God Jul til du og familien din, Eli!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He he...:-) Thank you! Cloudy and dark - oh yes:-) I agree, lights, people, music - and the party is on:-) Wish you all the best, dear Cindi. God jul til deg også - og din familie:-)

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, I love comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave one:-)